Stuttering Handout: A Summary of Modification & Enhancing Techniques- Free Product - PDF
This HANDOUT-ABLE is a summary of stuttering modification / fluency-enhancing techniques for patients who stutter. The more frequently strategies are practiced in different settings and contexts, the more benefit the speaker will tend to receive from the methods. This 4-page document discusses 8 modification and 6 enhancing techniques.
- Working with a speech-language pathologist on developing a hierarchy of situational concerns is a good way to start performing desensitization to reduce avoidance behaviors.
- All strategies should be utilized under the supervision and direction of a licensed and certified SLP.
- Talking about the experience of stuttering with an SLP can aid in being reassured that feelings surrounding stuttering are typical, expected, and can be challenging.
- Finding a way to embrace stuttering behaviors as only one aspect of a speaker’s communication — there are many part of how a speaker communicates — that can be a strength.
- Focusing on the other aspects of communication can build confidence.